historic marker Lynchburg and Salem Turnpike attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Bedford County sign with text
LYNCHBURG AND SALEM TURNPIKE
The Lynchburg and Salem Turnpike Co. was incorporated in 1813 to build a turnpike from Lynchburg west to Salem. The road reached Liberty (now Bedford) in 1828 and was completed to Salem in 1836. In Bedford County, covered bridges spanned the Big Otter and Little Otter rivers. The latter bridge remained until 1947. This turnpike, with five tollgates, served as the main thoroughfare in the region until the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad was built in the 1850s. In 1854, the company abandoned responsibility for the road between New London and Liberty and the county took control.
Department of Historic Resources, 1995.