historic marker Colonial Fort Mary Ingles VA attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Bedford County sign with text
Near here stood a fortified dwelling used for shelter during periods of warfare between European colonists and Native Americans. To this fort in 1756 came Mary Draper Ingles (Mrs. William Ingles) for protection following her escape from captivity by the Shawnee Indians. She was taken prisioner on 30 July 1755 following an attack on the Draper's Meadows settlement in Montgomery County near present-day Blacksburg. The story of her forced march to the Ohio Indian towns, her subsequent escape, and her long trek back home is part of the folklore of frontier Virginia. During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), man settlers abandoned this area and fled eastward.
Department of Historic Resources, 1997.