historic marker Fort Dickinson Virginia fort military protection attraction destination display education information landmark marker sign tourist history security attractive Bath County educating forts George Washington historic markers historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info Patrick County Place of Interest Places of Interest road side signage tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination travel Travel Destination historic VA appealing no people sightseeing text historical South attract nobody sightsee word daytime destinations displays landmarks markers signs tourists appeal color image educate outdoor vertical day historical markers Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org road sides tourist attractions tours US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America historic site sign with text
The site was about one-half mile N of the river. This was one of a chain of frontier forts ordered erected by the Virginia legislature early in 1756. The chain extended from Hampshire County (now West Virginia) to Patrick County on the North Carolina border. These forts were established under the supervision of Colonel George Washington, who made an inspection tour of the chain. This Fort was attacked by Indians at least once in 1756 and again the next year.
Virginia State LIbrary, 1951