historic marker Early Bath County Courthouses attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Bath County sign with text
EARLY BATH COUNTY COURTHOUSES
Bath County was formed in 1790 from parts of Augusta, Botetourt, and Greenbrier counties. The county court first met here on 10 May 1791 at the house of John Lewis's widow Margaret, who donated two acres opposite the mineral baths for public use. The log jail, built in 1792, and the one-story stone courthouse, constructed in 1796, became inadequate by the 1830s. Citizen petitions to the General Assembly to move the court to nearby Germantown (present-day Warm Springs) or north to Cleek's Mill failed. Instead, the dilapidated buildings were replaced with these brick structures in 1842. The court finally moved to Germantown in 1908 and the old site was advertised for sale as "ideally located for a fine Hotel at this wonderful watering place."
Department of Historic Resources, 1994