historic marker Tinkling Spring Church church chapel Christianity attraction destination display education information landmark marker sign tourist religion Virginia attractive Augusta County churches educating historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info James Waddel John Craig Place of Interest Places of Interest R.L. Dabney road side signage Stonewall Jackson tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination travel Travel Destination Triple Forks of Shenandoah VA appealing chapels no people sightseeing text South attract history nobody sightsee word destinations displays historic markers landmarks markers night signs tourists appeal color image Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org educate historic outdoor vertical historical markers night time road sides tourist attractions tours US colour image historical outside nighttime USA after dark U.S. words nights color images outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images outsides United States United States of America day daytime historic site sign with text
TINKLING SPRING CHURCH
This was first the Southern Branch of the ÒTriple Forks of ShenandoahÓ Congregation, which called John Craig as pastor in 1741. A church was completed here about 1748; two other buildings have succeeded it. Beginning with 1777, James Waddel, the noted blind preacher, was supply for some years. R.L. Dabney, of Stonewall JacksonÕs staff, was the minister here, 1847-1852.
Virginia Conservation Commission, 1938