historic marker Hunter's Crossroads Virginia attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Arlington County sign with text
One of the routes at this historic intersection is Glebe Road, developed in the 18th century to connect Alexandria with Northern Arlington. Columbian Turnpike was built in 1808 between the Long Bridge to Washington and the Little River Turnpike at Annandale. In the late 1850s, Louisa Hunter gave land on the northeast corner of the crossroads to a Methodist Church known as Hunter's Chapel. During the Civil War, Federal troops dismantled the church for its building materials after using the structure as a picket post, blockhouse, commissary, and stable. Following the Civil War the congregation used other buildings in this area. Today's successor, Arlington Methodist Church, stands two blocks to the north on Glebe Road.