historic marker Cheerydale Volunteer Firehouse attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Arlington County sign with text
CHERRYDALE VOLUNTEER FIREHOUSE
The Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department was the first fire company in Arlington County. Formed in 1898 and officially established in 1904. It originally consisted of 10 leather buckets, a ladder, and spirited volunteers. A community fundraiding effort, including a contribution from U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, resulted in the construction of the Cherrydale Firehouse in 1921. The maonry building became the first permanent firehouse in the county and has continually served the Cherrydale neighborhood as a center for social and community activities. The Cherrydale Volunteer Firehouse is a designated Arlington County Landmark and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.