historic marker Site of Arlington Chapel VA US attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Arlington County sign with text
SITE OF ARLINGTON CHAPEL
Arlington's first house of worship, the Chapel of Ease of Arlington Plantation, was near this location. George Washington Parke Custis built it about 1825 for his family, neighbors, and servants. Services were conducted by students from the Episcopal Theological Seminary in Alexandria. Union soldiers burned the building at the beginning of the Civil War. The congregation was reestablished after the war when it met in abandoned Federal barracks in this vicinity. The Trinity Episcopal Church, now located at South Wayne Street and Columbia Pike is the successor congregation.
Erected by Arlington County Virginia.