historic marker Fort Williams Arlington VA US attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction United States of America appealing history no people text tourism travel South United States attract historic nobody word America daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical American day destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides Arlington County sign with text
Defenses of Washington 1861-1865
100 yards to the west stood Fort Williams built in 1863 to guard the approaches to Alexandria by Little River Turnpike and Telegraph Road. It had a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements for 13 guns. This fort was built on the property of Samuel Cooper, C.S.A.