historic marker Appomattox Courthouse Virginia Appomattox Court House attraction courthouse display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive court house destination educating historic markers historic site info law signage tourist attraction VA appealing history justice no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word courthouses daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical court houses day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images natural light outsides United States United States of America
APPOMATTOX COURT HOUSE OLD AND NEW
This building, erected in 1892 when the county seat was moved to this location, should not be mistaken for the original, built in in 1846 and destroyed by fire in 1892. Three miles northeast is Old Appomattox Court House and the McLean house where Lee surrendered to Grant on April 9, 1865, thus ending the War between the States. The village of Old Appomattox Court House is now preserved as a National Shrine by the Federal Government.
Virginia Conservation Commission, 1950