historic marker Lee-Fendall House Harry Lee attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Virginia attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction VA appealing history no people text tourism travel South attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day destinations historic sites tourist attractions US colour image outside day time USA day-time U.S. words color images daylight outdoors U.S.A. verticals colour images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org natural light outsides United States United States of America Alexandria sign with text
"Light Horse Harry" Lee, Revolutionary War office owned this land in 1784. The house was built in 1785 by Philip Fendall, a Lee relative. Renovated in 1850 in the Greek Revivial style, the house remained in the Lee family until 1903. John L. Lewis, labor leader and president of the United Mine Workers of America and the Congress of Industrial Organizations, was the last resident owner from 1937 to 1969.
Department of Historic Resources, 1989