Leander historical marker Texas sign with text display Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination Austin and Northwestern Railroad Bagdad Highland Lakes historic marker historic site Leander Brown signage Williamson County attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States history no people text appealing tourism travel United States of America historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites colour image destinations outside tourist attractions Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org day time TX day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A.
Leander grew from the once thriving town of Bagdad, founded in 1854 (1 mi. W). when the Austin & Northwestern Railroad bypassed Bagdad in 1882, a new town was surveyed and named for railroad official Leander Brown (1817-89). Homes and businesses from the older community quickly moved to the new site along the rail line.The post office was brought here from Bagdad in 1882. The school started here in 1893 has grown into the largest school district in Williamson County. Originally in a rural area, Leander had boomed in recent years due to Highland Lakes development.