Wahrenberger House historical marker Austin TX display Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Texas Tourist Destination Travel Destination Charles Klein F. Huster German-American Ladies College historic marker historic site John Wahrenberger Pat Neff Sam Rayburn signage Texas German and English Academy Travis County attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States history no people text appealing tourism travel United States of America historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org historic markers historic sites colour image destinations outside tourist attractions day time day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A. sign with text
Charles Klein bought house from F. Huster, 1868. Leased it to German-American Ladies College (1873-90). Texas German and English Academy (1880-81) and deeded it, 1882, to daughter, Caroline (1834-19), widow of John Wahrenberger (1812-64). Early Austin settler. As a semi-private residence boarders included Pat Neff (1871-52), Governor of Texas (1921-25) and Sam Rayburn (1882-61), speaker of U.S. house of representatives.
House was the private home (about 1910-1947) of the Wahrenberger family.
A significant example of 19th century architectural evolution. This house was built in a simple vernacular Greek revival style in 1867 , by Frederich Huster. A porch and second story in rear were added about 1873. Victorian phase began 1887, with attachment of metal cornices and pediment (removed 1960); ended with addition of the classical revival portico and a sleeping porch in 1916. Porch was dismantled and facade altered 1946 property is maintained by Revell & Co. and owned by a Wahrenberger heir.