First United Methodist Church Austin Texas TX US United States of America display historical marker Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination America historic marker historic site Homer S. Thrall John Haynie Mississippi Conference signage Texas Medical Association Travis County attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States American history no people text appealing tourism travel historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks outdoor USA vertical appeal day educate historic markers Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org historic sites colour image destinations outside tourist attractions U.S. day time U.S.A. day-time words color images daylight outdoors verticals colour images natural light outsides sign with text
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF AUSTIN
In 1840, shortly after Austin was incorporated, the Rev. John Haynie (1786-1860), a Methodist circuit rider from the Mississippi Conference, led 14 members in forming this fellowship. They worshiped at temporary sites, including the Capitol building of Republic of Texas. In 1847 they completed their first church building, a wooden structure on Congress Avenue and 4th Street, during the pastorate of the Rev. Homer S. Thrall (1819-1894 ), circuit rider and well-known author of Texas and Methodist history. Doctors met in the original building in 1853 to form the Texas Medical Association.
In 1854, under the Rev. John W. Phillips ( 1821-1891 ), the original church was sold and a new brick edifice built at Brazos and 10th Street. In 1884 Dr. A. E.Goodwyn (1818-1902) led construction of a larger building at that site. For a time this congregation was called Tenth Street Methodist Church. The members bought the present property in 1921 and built this neo-classical structure. Pastors instrumental in building and improving the present church facility include Dr. Edward R. Barcus (1872-1958), Dr. W. F. Bryan (1872-1965) , Dr. Marvin S. Vance (1905-1966) and Dr. Robert S. Tate, Jr. (1914-1976). As Austin's second oldest Protestant congregation this fellowship has made significant contributions to the state's history.