State Capitol Texas historical marker marker display Historical Site sign attraction education information landmark location Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination Austin High School Charles Goodnight historic marker historic site John Ireland signage Sul Ross temporary Travis County University of Texas attractive destination educating info place tourist attraction United States history no people text appealing site tourism travel United States of America historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks locations outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org temporaries colour image destinations outside places tourist attractions day time TX sites day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A. sign with text
SITE OF TEMPORARY TEXAS STATE CAPITOL OF 1880's
Built, 1882-1883, to replace the previous Capitol, which had burned in 1881. Until the building was completed, the orphaned Texas government conducted business in the county courthouse and jail across Congress avenue.
The three-story brick building Ð third Texas Capitol in Austin Ð was used five years. During this time it witnessed the passage of strong legislation to aid education and to halt fence-cutting, which, in 1883, had exploded into a range war. Governors John Ireland (1883-1887) and Sul Ross (1887-1891) both served in this building.
In 1883, the University of Texas held classes here for its 218 students until campus facilities were completed. On another occasion, cattle baron Charles Goodnight loaded $100,000 in cash in a wheel barrow and had it hauled to the Capitol to force settlement of a land dispute, but officials refused his offer.
After the present Capitol was finished, 1888, this structure was used as home of Austin High School. Studios for music teachers, and for various offices. When it burned, Sept, 30, 1899, curious spectators sat on the fence around the new Capitol to watch volunteer firemen, hampered by low water pressure fight the blaze. The old building was razed soon after and the bricks were used in structures throughout Austin.