Second Travis County Courthouse Texas courthouse law justice display historical marker Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination courthouses historic marker historic site Izaak Walton James W. Smith signage Travis County W.M.M. Buck Walton Walton Building attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States history no people text appealing tourism travel United States of America historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org colour image destinations outside tourist attractions day time TX day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A. sign with text
SITE OF SECOND TRAVIS COUNTY COURTHOUSE AND WALTON BUILDING
Built in 1875 in term of County Judge James W. Smith. Former state officials on committees for site and building included Governor E.M. Pease, Secretary of State C.S. West, Attorney General N.G. Shelley, Treasurer James H. Raymond and Legislator George Hancock.
In era when Texas was gaining world renown, home of outstanding courts, able judges, brilliant bar. One tenant of its fortress-style jail was author William Sidney Porter (O. Henry), after his return to Austin in 1897 to be with his dying wife and face trial on embezzlement charges.
In 1931, the county accepted a block of land in exchange for cancellation of its 99-year lease on this site. Courthouse towers and jail were removed. State offices moved in Ð Game, Fish, and Oyster Commission, Department of Education, Banking Department.
In public competition for a name, ÒWalton BuildingÓ was chosen, for FishermenÕs Patron Izaak Walton (1593-1683) and for W.M. M. ÒBuckÓ Walton (1832-1915), Adjutant General in TerrellÕs Confederate brigade, Attorney General of Texas, famed for a colorful law career.
The massive 3-story Victorian limestone structure with impressive carved entrance was razed in 1964.