Swedish Consulate Swante Palm Library Texas TX display historical marker Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination historic marker historic site signage Swante Palm Travis County University of Texas Library attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States history no people text appealing tourism travel United States of America historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites colour image destinations outside tourist attractions Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org day time day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A. sign with text
SWEDISH CONSULATE AND SWANTE PALM LIBRARY
Swante Palm (1815-1899), Vice Consul for Sweden and Norway from 1866 until his death, built a small house on Ash Street (now 9th Street) in the 1850s. It was a repository for PalmÕs extensive book collection and served as the Swedish Consulate, where Palm gave assistance to many Swedish immigrants. To accommodate his ever-growing library, Palm enlarged the house in 1879. He donated his 10,000-volume collection to the University of Texas Library in 1897, increasing the schoolÕs holdings by more than sixty percent. PalmÕs house was razed in 1958.