The Coliseum historic marker Texas Fort Worth attraction destination display education highway information landmark marker tourist attractive educating Fat Stock Show Ft. Worth historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info livestock Place of Interest Places of Interest road road side Roadside Roadsign sign Swift and Armour Tarrant County tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations travel Travel Destination Travel Destinations United States appealing motorway no people sightseeing signage United States of America attract history nobody sightsee daytime destinations displays historic markers landmarks markers South Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org tourists appeal color image educate historic outdoor vertical day historical markers road sides signs tourist attractions tours colour image historical outside day time motorways TX day-time US color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A. historic site sign with text
Until 1908, The Annual Fort Worth Fat Stock Show was held in a variety of locations. As interest increased in the event and its educational and promotional values were realized, livestock exhibitors sought a permanent home for the show. The coliseum was constructed in 1907-08 to provide such an exhibition hall. Construction costs were borne by the Swift and Armour Packing Companies, and by the Fort Worth Stock Yards Company, which owned the property. The stock show was held here annually for 34 years.
This site has been within three separate cities: North Fort Worth until 1909; Niles City, 1911-23; and in Fort Worth since 1923. It is the birthplace of the indoor rodeo, and the first live radio broadcast of a rodeo was transmitted here on WBAP Radio in 1923.
The Coliseum also has served as a place for cultural, educational, religious, social, and civic events. In 1911, former President Theodore Roosevelt spoke here. Numerous Texas Governors, performing artists, grand operas, entertainers and evangelists have appeared here. The great Italian tenor, Enrico Caruso, performed here in 1920.
In 1936, the Stock Yards Company sold the coliseum to the City of Fort Worth. Historically it has been an important part of the city and the livestock industry.