Hood County News historic marker newspaper TX attraction destination display education information landmark marker tourist Texas A.B. Crawford A.W. Crockett attractive Capt. W.L. Bond educating Frank Gaston Granbury Granbury News Granbury Vidette historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites Hood County info J.D. Ballard newsprint Place of Interest Places of Interest road side Roadside Roadsign sign tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations travel Travel Destination Travel Destinations United States appealing no people sightseeing signage United States of America attract history nobody sightsee daytime destinations Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org displays historic markers landmarks markers newspapers South tourists appeal color image educate historic outdoor vertical day historical markers road sides signs tourist attractions tours colour image historical outside day time day-time US color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A. historic site sign with text
HOOD COUNTY NEWS
Successor to "Granbury Vidette" town's first newspaper, founded 1872 by Capt. W.L. Bond and later owned by an 1882 staff recruit, A. W. Crockett (1857-1953), a grandson of the Alamo hero. J.D. Ballard in 1884 started the "Granbury News", later owned by highly regarded Frank Gaston. State Senator A.B. Crawford and wife in 1937 bought from Crockett the last paper he owned, merging it in 1946 with the "Granbury News". In 1964 widowed Mrs. Crawford moved paper into this 1891 building and began to advocate historic preservation--a policy continued by later owners after she retired in 1970.