First United Methodist Church of Evant Texas TX church display historical marker Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination Bill Davenport chapel Coryell County G. T. Winters historic marker historic site Joe Price M.M. Weaver Methodist Osgood Shook signage W. C. Winters W.H. Carr attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States Christianity history no people text appealing tourism travel United States of America historic nobody religion word attract churches daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org outdoor vertical appeal chapels day educate historic markers historic sites colour image destinations outside tourist attractions day time day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A. sign with text
FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF EVANT
Organized by the Rev. Joe Price between 1874 and 1876, in LangfordÕs Cove community (later renamed Evant), the Evant Methodist Episcopal Church began with seven charter members: Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Winters, Mr. and Mrs. G. T. Winters, Mr. and Mrs. Edington, and Miss Elam. After a short time, the Rev. Mr, Price returned to his home in Mississippi. The congregation continued to hold prayer meetings led by W. C. Winters and occasional visiting pastors, including M. M. Weaver and W. H. Carr of nearby Levita, the Rev. Dr. Perry of Hamilton, the Rev. Bill Davenport and the Rev. Osgood Shook. First meeting in memberÕs homes and under brush arbors, they eventually began to hold prayer meetings in the small local schoolhouse.
In the spring of 1879, a camp meeting was held at Cottonwood Springs. New families began moving into the area, including the Murehead family from Rhode Island, and the Thomas family from Wales, Great Britain. They began a Sunday school and invited area young people to join them in Methodist worship. As they grew in numbers, the joined the Methodist church.
In 1884, the Baptists built the first church building in the community. The Methodists shared the structure with other denominations until 1905, when they erected their own building. It was moved across the street in 1937 due to highway development.
The Methodist Church in the nearby Vista community joined with Evant Methodist in 1949 and they dedicated a new brick building that year in a ceremony led by the Presiding Bishop. The congregationÕs growth reached its 20th century peak in 1963 with 201 members. The Evant United Methodist Church continues the traditions of its founders.