Briggs Texas historical marker Henry D. Briggs display Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination Aaron Boyce Fort Hood Gum Springs historic marker historic site signage Taylor's Gin Store attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States history no people text appealing tourism travel United States of America historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites colour image destinations outside tourist attractions day time Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org TX day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A. Burnet County sign with text
THE COMMUNITY OF BRIGGS
Pioneers mainly from the Old South settled here on the Aaron Boyce land grant in the 1860s and 70s. They had a school, and held church services, at Gum Springs in the 1880s. In 1888 a post office opened at Taylor's Gin Store; this was renamed in 1898 for Mrs. Henry D. Briggs, an early settler. On April 12, 1906, a tornado destroyed much of the village. Afterward Briggs was rebuilt on a platted townsite; it thrived from 1906 to 1920, but began declining after a 1928 fire. Many of the townspeople have worked since 1950 at Fort Hood, in neighboring Bell County.