travel United States of America United States America USA US South Carolina SC York County history historical historic historical marker famous landmark road side highway popular Place of Interest Places of Interest Tourist Attraction Tourist Attractions Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations Travel Destination Travel Destinations tour tourism tourist attraction destination Sign Signs American Day Daytime Historical Sites Vertical Education Historical Site Marker Markers Outdoor Outdoors Outside Road Road Signs Roadside Roadsign information display Bullock Creek Presbyterian Church church Presbyterian religion religious Dr. Joseph Alexander pastor Whig Revolutionary War Whigs hospital American Revolution historic marker historic site no people nobody sign with text
BULLOCK CREEK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Under leadership of Dr. Joseph Alexander, pastor 1774-1801, this church, organized in 1769, was a Whig stronghold during the Revolution. Three hundred yards west is the site of one of the earliest academies in upper South Carolina, established in 1787 by Dr. Alexander. One and one half miles southwest is the site of Dr. Alexander's home, used as a hospital during the American Revolution.
Erected by the King’s Mountain Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 11 February 1938