travel United States of America United States America USA US South Carolina SC Richland County history historical historic historical marker famous landmark road side highway popular Place of Interest Places of Interest Tourist Attraction Tourist Attractions Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations Travel Destination Travel Destinations tour tourism tourist attraction destination Sign Signs American Day Daytime Historical Sites Vertical Education Historical Site Marker Markers Outdoor Outdoors Outside Road Road Signs Roadside Roadsign information display Church of the Good Shepherd Columbia Episcopal Barnwell Street Rev. Albert S. Thomas religious religion place of worship historic marker historic site no people nobody sign with text
CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD
Beginning in 1883 with services held in nearby private homes by Trinity Church, this Episcopal church then constructed a building on Barnwell Street, was organized into a mission, and became a separate parish in 1886. Rt. Rev. Albert S. Thomas, 9th Bishop of S. C., was lay reader of Good Shepherd, 1893-1900. The church moved to this site after the present building was completed in 1901.
Erected by the Women of the Church, 1980