Photo detail

Camera Maker Canon Camera Model Canon EOS 20D
Aperture f/7.1 Color Space sRGB
Exposure Value 0 EV Exposure Program Program
Exposure Time 1/100 sec Flash No Flash
Focal Length 33 mm ISO 400
Metering Mode Pattern Date/Time 2006:10:08 15:49:31
Copyright © 2006 Jason O. Watson. All rights reserved. Orientation 1: Normal (0 deg)
Resolution Unit Inch X Resolution 72 dots per ResolutionUnit
Y Resolution 72 dots per ResolutionUnit Compression Jpeg Compression
Exposure Mode 0 Keywords travel United States of America United States America USA US North Carolina NC history historical historic historical marker famous landmark road side highway popular Place of Interest Places of Interest Tourist Attraction Tourist Attractions Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations Travel Destination Travel Destinations tour tourism tourist attraction destination Sign Signs American Day Daytime Historical Sites Vertical Education Historical Site Marker Markers Outdoor Outdoors Outside Road Road Signs Roadside Roadsign information display Wake County Wake Forest Wake Forest College Wake Forest University WFU Dr. Calvin Jones North Carolina Medical Society University of North Carolina Masonic Order Baptist State Convention Wake Forest Institute Samuel Wait College Building Wingate Street historic marker historic site no people nobody sign with text
Caption H75 WAKE FOREST COLLEGE BIRTHPLACE This simple provincial house was built before 1820. For some years it was the home of Dr. Calvin Jones, a founder of the North Carolina Medical Society, major-general in the War of 1812 and Grand Master of the Masonic Order in North Carolina. He was for 30 years a trustee of the University of North Carolina. In 1832 Dr. Jones sold his home and plantation at Wake Forest to the Baptist State Convention. On February 3, 1834, Wake Forest Institute, as it was called until 1838, was opened in the building with an enrollment of 16 students. The dwelling house was used as the residence of the first President of the College, Samuel Wait, and for classroom purposes. The carriage house was used as a chapel. The seven Ògood substantial log cabinsÓ were used as dormitories. The house, now on its fourth site, was moved from its original location in the center of the campus in 1835 to make way for ÒThe College Building,Ó and later to a third location on Wingate Street. It is now restored to the 1830 period. Archives and Highway Departments, 1963