Salem Village Meeting House witchcraft Salem display historical marker Historical Site marker sign attraction education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination United States of America Bridget Bishop Deodat Lawson Essex County George Burroughs Giles Cory historic marker historic site Martha Cory Mary Esty Massachusetts Rebecca Nurse Samuel Parris Sarah Good Sarah Osburn signage witch hunt attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States history no people text America appealing tourism travel historic nobody word American attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs color image Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites witch hunts colour image destinations outside tourist attractions day time US day-time USA words color images daylight outdoors U.S. verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S.A.
SALEM VILLAGE MEETING HOUSE - 1672
Directly across from this site was located the original Salem Village Meeting House where civil and military meetings were held, and ministers including George Burroughs, Deodat Lawson, and Samuel Parris preached.
The infamous 1692 witchcraft hysteria began in this neighborhood. On March 1 accused witches Sarah Good, Sarah Osburn, and Tituba were interrogated in the Meeting House amidst the horrific fits of the Òafflicted ones.Ó Thereafter numerous others were examined including Martha Cory, Rebecca Nurse, Bridget Bishop, Giles Cory, and Mary Esty. Many dire, as well as heroic deeds transpired in the Meeting House.
In 1702 the Meeting House was abandoned, dismantled and removed to this site until the lumber Òdecayed and became mixed with the soil.Ó
In 1992 a memorial was erected here to honor the witchcraft victims, and to remind us that we must forever confront intolerance and Òwitch-huntsÓ with integrity, clear vision, and courage.
Danvers Preservation Commission, 1992