Clover Hill Merryman's Lott Baltimore Maryland South attraction Declaration of Independence display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination attractive Charles Carroll Charles Merryman destination document educating historic marker historic site info Lord Baltimore Merryman's Lane signage tourist attraction appealing historic history no people text tourism travel attract government MD nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs United States appeal color image educate historical outdoor patriotism US vertical day destinations historic markers Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org historic sites tourist attractions United States of America colour image outside USA day time democracy U.S. day-time words patriotic U.S.A. color images daylight outdoors verticals colour images natural light outsides sign with text
(So named circa 1714)
Part of "Merryman's Lott," 210 acres of virgin timberland granted by Lord Baltimore in 1688 to Charles Merryman, whose descendants farmed here until 1869. Stone House built in 19th century occupied by Bishops of Maryland since 1909, when cathedral site was purchased by Episcopal Diocese. Charles Carroll of Carrollton, sign of Declaration of Independence, acquired portion south of Merryman's Lane (now University Parkway) for access to Homewood circa 1801.
Maryland Historical Society