War of 1898 Key West historical marker display Historical Site marker sign attraction education Florida information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination historic marker historic site Monroe County signage attractive destination educating info tourist attraction United States history no people text appealing tourism travel United States of America historic nobody word attract daytime displays historical markers markers signs South color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites colour image destinations outside tourist attractions day time FL day-time US words color images Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A.
WAR OF 1898
On this site the Catholic Convent of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary was located.
In April of 1898 it was graciously offered and converted to a 400 bed United States Army Hospital for the treatment of soldiers and sailors, ill with dangerous tropical diseases or wounded in battle, during Cuba's War of Independence.
In spite of the great danger, the following Sisters of The Convent cared for the afflicted; Sister Superior M. Florentine, Sister Simon, Visitation, Damien, L'Evangelista, Thomas, Hormisdas, Laurentius, Marguerite de Cortona, Egidius, Berenice, Ambroise de Sienna, Antoine de Jesus, Dolores, Catherine de Palanza, L. Gabriel, Anthony, Maurice, Domitille, Gaspard, Ulderic, Tharslie and Silvestre.
Volunteer United States Army Nurses serving here were Margaret Shaffer, Alice Lyons, Agnes Lease, Jennie Sherrian, Anna Fox and Johnetta Sanger. U.S. Army Doctors were W. C. Borden, S. Armstrong, B. Baker, H. Jackson and D. Hall.
The first U.S. Army post combat use of the X-Ray (then called Rontgen Ray) to locate bullets or shrapnel in wounded soldiers was performed at this hospital. This avoided the painful, dangerous and sometimes fatal practice of probing wounds with steel instruments, virtually blind, for the foreign matter.
(Continued on other side)