historic marker Duck Creek Presbyterian Church attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Delaware attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction United States appealing history no people text tourism travel United States of America attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day DE destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time US day-time USA words color images daylight Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org outdoors U.S. verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S.A.
SITE OF DUCK CREEK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
In 1733 a charter was granted to "a dissenting congregation" of Scots and Irish Presbyterians who had settled in this area. A Meeting House was subsequnelty erected at this location. The Reverend Thomas Evans conducted the first service here on August 12, 1733. The tract, then known as Holy Hill, was formally conveyed to church trustees in 1749. On June 30, 1776 the Reverend John Miller summoned the large number of Patriots in the congregation to support the American Revolution. Services in the old church were discontinued in 1846 when a new site was obtained. Notable burials in the church cemetery include those of John Clark, Governor of Delaware (1817-1820), and Presley Spruance, United States Senator (1847-1853).
Delaware Public Archives - 2003.