historic marker Brecknock Alexander Humphreys attraction display education historical marker Historical Site information landmark marker Place of Interest sign Tourist Destination Travel Destination Delaware attractive destination educating historic markers historic site info signage tourist attraction United States appealing history no people text tourism travel United States of America attract historic nobody word daytime displays historical markers landmarks markers signs appeal color image educate historical outdoor vertical day DE destinations historic sites tourist attractions colour image outside day time US day-time USA words color images daylight Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org outdoors U.S. verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S.A.
In 1680 Alexander Humphreys received a warrant from the county court for 600 acres of land which he called Brecknock. The tract is believed to have been named for a shire in Wales. A milling operation ws established here in the 1740's. For nearly two centuries local farmers brough their grain to this place, known for much of that time as Howell's Mill. The present mansion house was constructed in several stages, with the first section believed to have been built by the mid 18th century. Brecknock was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. In 1993 a portion of the original tract was bequeathed to Kent County by Elizabeth Howell Goggin for recreational use.
Delaware Public Archives, 1996