Barstow Harvey House historic marker depot CA attraction destination display education highway information landmark marker rail tourist train station California attractive Barstow Harvey House Casa del Desierto educating Fred Harvey historical marker Historical Site Historical Sites info Place of Interest Places of Interest popular railroad station road road side Roadside Roadsign San Bernardino County Santa Fe Railway sign tour tourism tourist attraction Tourist Destination Tourist Destinations travel Travel Destination Travel Destinations West appealing depots motorway no people sightseeing signage train depot United States attract history nobody railroad depot Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org sightsee daytime destinations displays historic markers landmarks markers rails tourists train stations United States of America appeal color image educate historic outdoor station vertical day historical markers railroad stations road sides signs tourist attractions tours colour image historical outside day time motorways train depots railroad day-time railroad depots US transportation color images daylight outdoors stations USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. railroads U.S.A.
BARSTOW HARVEY HOUSE
Harvey Houses were legendary in the history of Western rail travel. Operated by Fred Harvey in conjunction with this Santa Fe Railway, the network of restaurant-hotels set a new standard in quality meal service. Barstow's Spanish-Moorish "Casa Del Desierto" opened in 1911 and closed in 1971. It was registered as one of the last and finest remaining examples of the West's famous Harvey Houses.
California Registered Historical Landmark No. 892
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus, Mojave River Valley Museum, San Bernadino County Museum, and Fred Harvey, Inc., May 1, 1983.