First County Courthouse Alameda County marker courthouse display historical marker Historical Site sign attraction California education information landmark Place of Interest Tourist Destination Travel Destination A.M. Church Henry C. Smith historic marker historic site law San Leandro signage Union City attractive destination educating info tourist attraction West history justice no people text appealing tourism travel United States historic nobody word attract courthouses daytime displays historical markers markers signs United States of America color image historical landmarks outdoor vertical appeal day educate historic markers historic sites colour image Jason O. Watson / historical-markers.org destinations outside tourist attractions CA day time day-time US words color images daylight outdoors USA verticals colour images natural light outsides U.S. U.S.A.
FIRST COUNTY COURTHOUSE
The first court house where Alameda County government began, June 6, 1853. Officials met in two-story wooden building erected by Henry C. Smith and A. M. Church as merchandise store. Seat of government moved to San Leandro in 1856 following vote of people of county in December 1854.
State Registered Landmark No. 503
Tablet provided by California State Park Commission Base furnished by Alameda County Parlors of the Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West.
Dedicated June 6, 1953