VA-K237 Hog Island

Marker text: HOG ISLAND

On this point, in James River nine miles northeast, the settlers kept their hogs in 1608. When abandoning Jamestown in June, 1610, they stopped at the island for a night. The next morning, proceeding down the river, they met a messenger from Governor Lord Delaware, who had just arrived, and returned to Jamestown.

Virginia Conservation Commission, 1948.

Today in Marker History


View more information