VA-K235 Bacons Castle

Marker text: BACON'S CASTLE

This house, just to the north, was built by Arthur Allen in 1655. In Bacon's Rebellion, 1676, the house was seized by a part of rebels and fortified. On December 29, 1676 it was captured by sailors from a ship in James River who were engaged in putting down the rebellion.

Virginia State Library, 1961

Today in Marker History


View more information