VA-K11 Gate City

Marker text: Gate City
The town was laid off in 1815 as the county seat of Scott County. The original name of Winfield, for General Winfield Scott, was changed to Estillville for Judge Benjamin Estill. In 1886, the name was changed to Gate City because of its situation in Moccasin Gap, through which the old Wilderness Road to the West passed. It was incorporated, 1892.
Virginia Conservation Commission, 1941

Today in Marker History


View more information