VA-K95 Roanoke A

Marker text: ROANOKE

The first village here, at Pate's Mill and Tavern on Evans' Mill Creek, was called Big Lick for nearby salt marshes. In 1839 it was laid off as the town of Gainesborough. After the coming of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad (Later N. & W.) in 1852, another village sprang up about the Old Stover House that was also named Big Lick. Gainesborough became known as Old Lick. (<a href=>Over</a>)

Virginia Conservation Commission, 1941.

Today in Marker History


View more information