VA-K95 Roanoke

Marker text: ROANOKE

Here retreating from Lynchburg, in 1874 Big Lick was incorporated. In 1881, with the junction of the new Shenandoah Valley Railroad with the N.&W., rapid growth began. In 1882 the name was changed to Roanoke; in 1884 it was incorporated as a city. In 1909 the Virginian Railroad operated its first train. In recent years Roanoke became the third city of Virginia (<a href=>Over</a>)

Virginia Conservation Commission, 1941.

Today in Marker History


View more information