VA-SA49 Virginia House


Architectural elements of the Priory and Saint Sepulcher (Warwick Priory), originally built more than 900 years ago, were transplanted from England to Richmond in 1925 by American diplomat Alexander Wilbourne Weddell and his wife, Virginia. Reconfigured and renamed Virginia House, with gardens designed by landscape architect Charles F. Gillette, the estate lies a quarter mile south. Virginia House, an expression of the American Country Place movement, and its neighbor, Agecroft Hall, are the only two transplanted English manor houses standing side by side in America. Owned and exhibited by the Virginia Historical Society, Virginia House is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Department of Historic Resources, 1998.

Today in Marker History


View more information