VA-C10 Ellerslie

Marker text: ELLERSLIE

One-half mile southeast of this location is Ellerslie, which was built in 1814 by French Huguenot Col. John Jett and his wife Hannah Calvert for their son James Jett, Jr., on a 1,000-acre tract. In 1749, George Washington named Jett Strett in the town of Washington, Virginia for the family. In 1862, some of Union Maj. Gen. John Pope's forces occupied Ellerslie before the Second Battle of Manassas. After the Civil War, Ellerslie fell into disrepair and the property was divided. In 1926, its century-old English boxwoods were moved to the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. to frace the Bishops Garden. Ellerslie was destroyed by fire in 1933.

Department of Historic Resources, 1997

Today in Marker History


View more information