ZZ-PWC066 Buckland

Marker text: BUCKLAND

The town of Buckland, named for William Buckland, architect, was chartered in 1798 with streets and lots on both sides of Broad Run near the mill of John Love. Tranquility, future site of Buckland Hall nearby, was John Love's seat. This property was transferred in 1853 to Richard Bland Lee, nephew of Lighthorse Harry Lee of Leesylvania. Buckland Tavern, now restored as a dwelling, served during the early 19th century as a refreshing stop on the Alexandria-Warrenton Turnpike.

Prince William County Historical Commission - 1984

Today in Marker History


View more information