ZZ-PWC033 Colonial Road

Marker text: COLONIAL ROAD

The road bed here follows the south branch of the Dumfries Road, in use before 1740, which crossed Cedar Run at Tacquet's Ford. This route connected the port of Dumfries with Red Store, now known as Warrenton, and interior settlements beyond. Dower House was bulit about 1775 on Effingham Plantation, the main house, built later by Col. William Alexander, great grandson of John Alexander, for whom the City of Alexandria is named stands a short distance to the south.

Prince William County Historical Commission, 1985

Today in Marker History


View more information