VA-I19 Presbyterian Seminary


The first Presbyterian seminary in the South was established here in 1812 as the Theology Department of Hampden-Sydney College. It became independent of the college in 1822. After the synods of Virginia and North Carolina assumed joint ownership in 1827, it was called Union Theological Seminary; several of its buildings still stand. When the seminary moved to Richmond in 1898, its property on the south side of this road was purchased by Maj. Richard M. Venable, of Baltimore, and donated to the college.

Department of Historic Resources, 1990

Today in Marker History


View more information