VA-RA4 Rockfish Church


The Rockfish meetinghouse was established here by 1746, making it one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in the region. James McCann conveyed land for a church and school. Samuel Black became the first pastor of the church in 1747. Thomas Mason built a new frame structure for the congregation about 1771. The present Greek Revival brick structure was constructed by 1854. Further modifications have been made to the building and grounds since that time, including an addition completed in 1995.

Department of Historic Resources, 2002

Today in Marker History


View more information