VA-L22 Sandusky

Marker text: SANDUSKY

To the northwest is Sandusky, built by Charles Johnston about 1808. He named it after a place in Ohio where Indians had held him prisoner in 1790. The two-story structure was one of the Lynchburg area's first houses to display the details and refinement of high-style Federal architecture. In 1864, during the Battle of Lynchburg, Sandusky served as headquarters for Union Maj. Gen. David Hunter. Future presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley served on Hunter's staff. Hunter has been a West Point classmate of Confederate Maj. George C. Hutter, who owned Sandusky at the time of the Union occupation.

Department of Historic Resources, 2000.

Today in Marker History


View more information