VA-K243 Smithfield

Marker text: SMITHFIELD

The town was established in 1752. The Masonic Hall was built in 1753. Benedict Arnold occupied the town, January 15, 1781. At Cherry Grove Landing near by, skirmishing took place on April 13-15, 1865, and the Confederates made a daring capture of a Union vessel on December 5, 1864.

Virginia Conservation Commission, 1941

Today in Marker History


View more information