VA-E111 Church Quarter


The two-room log house, a rare survivor of a once-common house type, was built about 1843 probably by Sarah Thornton, whose father-in-law John Thornton acquired the property in 1790. On 16 July 1862, Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson and his staff stopped here and requested some water. The woman who lived here provided a pitcher from which to drink. On learning Jackson's identity, she refused let anyone else drink from it, saying that she would give it to her children as momento of Jackson's visit. The Scotchtown Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution purchased and restored the cabin in 1969.

Today in Marker History


View more information