VA-SA5 Elk Hill

Marker text: ELK HILL

Two miles south is Elk Hill, once owned by Thomas Jefferson. Lord Cornwallis made his headquarters there, June 7-15, 1781; this was the western limit of his invasion. On June 15 he turned eastward, leaving the place pillaged and carrying off slaves.

Conservation & Development Commission, 1931

Today in Marker History


View more information