VA-M66 Marlfield

Marker text: MARLFIELD

A mile and a half west is the site of Marlfield, an eighteenth-century dwelling built by the Buckner family. It was purchased in 1782 by William Jones, who gave the house its name. Jones was among the first Virginia planters to use marl in his agricultural practices. His descendants sold Marlfield in 1906 but retained ownership of the nearby family cemetery. Marlfield had fallen into ruins by the mid-twentieth century.

Department of Conservation and Historic Resources, 1986

Today in Marker History


View more information