VA-KG22 Narrows

Marker text: NARROWS

Named for the narrows in New River, the place was occupied by Confederate troops under French and Jackson in May, 1864. Combining with McCausland, they forced the Union General Crook to evacuate Blacksburg. Crook passed here on his way to West Virginia. The Norfolk and Western Railroad came in 1884; the Virginian in 1910. The town was incorporated in 1904.

Virginia Conservation Commission, 1941.

Today in Marker History


View more information