VA-KG21 Pearisburg

Marker text: PEARISBURG

The town was laid off in 1806 when Giles County was formed, and named for Captain George Pearis, early settler. Established in 1808, it was first incorporated in 1835, and reincorporated in 1914. Here, in May, 1862, Union troops under Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes were defeated by Confederates under General Henry Heth. The present courthouse was erected in 1836.

Virginia Conservation Commission, 1941.

Today in Marker History


View more information