VA-A38 Hackwood Park

Marker text: HACKWOOD PARK

One mile east is the site of the Hackwood Estate House, built in 1777 by General John Smith. Documents reveal that the Hackwood House caught fire during the Third Battle of Winchester. Union troops used buildings on the site for a hospital, September 19, 1864.

Department of Conservation and Historic Resources 1988

Today in Marker History


View more information